Internal Auditor - Co-op
Here at TJX Canada, we strive our hardest to make sure that, every day, our customers are able to find the latest and greatest designer brand names for less than they'd pay elsewhere. When they walk in the doors of our stores, whether it's a Winners, HomeSense, or Marshalls, savvy shoppers know they'll experience the "Thrill of the Find," which, if you're curious, feels like a slight breeze blowing over the surface of your skin-not a bad feeling, if we do say so ourselves.
But you're not here to feel the breeze. You're here to see if working with TJX Canada is right for you. To help with your decision, we'd like to introduce you to someone who once faced the same choice you have to make.
As one of our Internal Auditors - Cooperative Education, Ray is responsible for conducting and documenting complex internal-audit projects and providing advice and direction for business-cycle owners. He has great communication and problem-solving skills, but what really sets him apart is his bilingual fluency in French and English.
Of course, he's also set apart by the fact that at the age of sixteen he sailed solo from Nova Scotia to Great Britain, but that's more of bragging-rights type of thing and less of a professional qualification.
Still, this is Ray. He is one of us.
But know this. If you do decide to apply for this position, and we agree that this is the right job for you, you'll be supported by a plethora of internal programs whose only focus is the continued progress of your career. At TJX Canada, we do everything we can to help you achieve your full potential. But we can't do it all ourselves. You'll need to bring the ambition, the motivation, and the drive.
So what do you think? Like Ray, are you one of us?
Now, if you were to come on board as one of our Internal Auditors for Cooperative Education, we'd ask you to do the following:
- Follow established auditing practices and procedures
- Perform audit assignments independently or as a team leader
- Identify internal control problems and departures from financial or operating procedures and standards
- Prepare appropriate audit work papers and documentation
- Prepare audit reports and conduct or participate in related conferences
- Validate both DC and Store physical inventories, representing an external audit firm
- Execute Sarbanes-Oxley compliance audits
Sounds rather challenging and exciting, right? Let's hope so, because if it sounds easy or boring, there's a good chance this job isn't for you. But if it does sound right for you, here's why we know you'll be able to handle those challenges:
- You are actively enrolled in your post-secondary education in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or Commerce
- You are open to pursuing your Canadian chartered accountancy designation
- Preferably, you are bilingual in written and spoken French
- Preferably, you have your certified internal-audit designation
- You have knowledge of retail operations
- You possess the knowledge and ability to apply all aspects of the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Generally Accepted Audit Standard, as well as knowledge of retail and distribution operations
- Your issue-management skills include organizational abilities, conflict management, and information gathering
- You have facilitation, verbal, and writing skills
- Your problem-solving skills include analyzing information (i.e. client and system requirements, description of problems, etc.) and providing junior staff with solutions to accounting problems
- You have computer skills for word processing, flowcharting, Local and Wide Area Networks, CAAT, and e-mail
We know some of that might sound a little daunting, but if we're going to meet and exceed our promises to our customers, we have to be committed to hiring the best person for the job.