Registered Nurse, Psychiatry (Relief Full Time)
Under the general direction of the Team Leader and as a member of the multidisciplinary adult care team, the incumbent provides nursing assessment and treatment services for adults who may suffer from various psychiatric illnesses and mental disorders. Following the development of the care plan, treatment services are implemented, using appropriate forms of individual and/or group therapies. The purpose of this team approach is to maximize community functioning and to reduce utilization of acute care services. This includes liaison with other members of the health team and persons in the community. Participates in educational services, planning, program development and policy recommendations. The nurse provides psychiatric nursing perspective to the team in the development of services within the catchment area.
- Graduate of an approved School of Nursing.
- Current practising registration with CRPNBC or CRNBC.
- Current CPR and Blood Glucose Monitoring certification.
- Post graduate psychiatric nursing course for RN's, Canadian Nurses Association certification program in psychiatry, or equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to use good judgement and organization skills in providing patient care.
- Knowledge and utilization of the DSM IV in order to establish provisional diagnosis.
- Ability to interpret the Mental Health Act as it relates to patient care and patient rights.
- Ability to provide work direction to others.
- Knowledge of community agencies and resources.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, families, all levels of staff, physicians, other health care workers and the public.
- Ability to assess and deal with emergency situations.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
DAWSON CREEK COMMUNITY
The rolling foothills of the Northern Rockies surround Dawson Creek where the sky is always blue and there is something to offer everyone. The quality of life in Dawson Creek is like nothing you have ever experienced before. There is no long commute to work and no one is in a rush. For most people the commute is two or three minutes and they go home at lunch time. Time after work is spent pursuing some of the many outdoor activities.