Analyst, Performance Measurement
Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investment Board (CPPIB), you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $200 billion, and projected to reach $300 billion by 2020, CPPIB is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan to ensure long-term sustainability. CPPIB invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and currently has offices in Toronto, Hong Kong, London, New York and São Paulo.
CPPIB attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Being motivated every day by CPPIB's important social purpose and unshakable principles
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here's an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPPIB.
We are presently recruiting for Performance Analyst, Performance Measurement and Attribution within the Treasury, Performance and Reporting department.
The Performance Analyst is responsible for investment performance measurement, monitoring and reporting activities of the CPP Investment Board. The Performance Analyst will ensure that performance returns, benchmark returns and performance attribution are calculated correctly by ensuring that analytical reviews, reasonability checks and established processes are completed and followed in accordance with CPP Investment Board Policies, Guidelines, and Procedures.
This position requires committed attention to detail, and ability to meet tight deadline with high accuracy. It also requires strong communication and interpersonal skills, combined with the ability to readily adapt to a rapidly changing investment business and technology environments.
- Ensures that investment performance measurement requirements outlined in CPP Investment Board Policies and Guidelines are met
- Ensures that analytical reviews, reasonability checks and established processes outlined in CPP Investment Board Procedures are completed and followed
- Prepares performance reports for investment groups, conduct thorough analysis on performance results, explains performance results, investigates discrepancies and brings issues into resolution
- Assists in developing tests and automating control checks to ensure the accuracy and completeness of information being used to calculate performance benchmark and attribution results
- Automates and streamlines existing processes within Performance Measurement
- Participates in UAT testing for system upgrade or enhancement
- Prepares timely investment commentary and performance measurement reports for scheduled and ad-hoc reporting commitments with high degree of quality and accuracy
- Communicate investment results to related parties effectively, and actively participate in various discussions.
- Other duties as required
Cross Departmental Relationship Management
- Assists in evaluating proposed calculation methodologies and financial models for operational reasonableness
- Ensures Investment Department requirements are thoroughly met in developing enhanced performance measurement and performance attribution capabilities
- Develops and fosters effective working relationships with other departments of the CPP Investment Board
If you possess the following, we'd like to hear from you:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills will be essential in this role. Able to present ideas in a clear and precise manner
- Undergraduate degree in finance, economics, business administration, applied mathematics with a strong appetite for quantitative analysis
- Working towards or completion of a Professional designation - CFA, CIPM, CA, CMA
- Advanced skills in MS Office applications (i.e. Excel, Word, Access, Visio, PowerPoint)
- Proficient in SQL. Experience with VBA or Java is considered an asset
- Understanding of performance measurement and performance attribution methodologies (i.e. time weighted vs. dollar weighted returns, arithmetic vs. geometric attribution, multi-currency & fixed-income attribution)
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to think creatively
- Ability to use critical thinking skills to tackle challenging problems in an innovative way
- Ability to learn and deliver quickly in a high performing culture
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Exhibit high attention to detail and accuracy while meeting deadlines and working under pressure
- Flexibility, adaptability, and initiative. Candidates must be comfortable with changing priorities and new challenges in their role
- Exemplifies our Guiding Principles of high performance, integrity and partnership.
â€‹At CPP Investment Board, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process