Programmer Analysts - Coop
Here at TJX Canada, we strive our hardest to make sure that, every day, our customers are able to find the latest and greatest designer brand names for less than they'd pay elsewhere. When they walk through the doors of our stores, whether it's a Winners, HomeSense, or Marshalls, savvy shoppers know they'll experience the "Thrill of the Find," which, if you're curious, feels like a slight breeze blowing over the surface of your skin-not a bad feeling, if we do say so ourselves.
But you're not here to feel the breeze. You're here to see if working with TJX Canada is right for you. To help with your decision, we'd like to introduce you to someone who once faced the same choice you have to make.
Basil is one of our Programmer Analysts. He's responsible for analyzing requirements, writing detailed program specifications, coding, testing, providing production documentation and estimating time requirements for development activities. He also programs and tests activities related to assigned projects.
Of course, he's always asked by friends to fix common computer problems. Especially when their kids download games, because they inevitably download viruses. Does that make him a digital handyman or a digital doctor? Either way, he does house calls!
This is Basil. He is one of us.
If you do decide to apply for this position, and we agree that this is the right job for you, you'll be supported by a plethora of internal programs whose only focus is the continued progress of your career. At TJX Canada, we do everything we can to help you achieve your full potential. But we can't do it all ourselves. You'll need to bring the ambition, the motivation, and the drive.
So what do you think? Like Basil, are you one of us?
Now, if you were to come on board as one of our Programmer Analysts we'd ask you to do the following:
- Write, debug and unit test programs and subroutines.
- Write programs and procedure documentation.
- Assist in the design and analysis of program and system requirements.
- Write physical design documents, detailed program specifications, and unit test plans.
- Perform status reports and document the results of unit test data for assigned activities.
- Implement system controls per specifications, problem logs, and special projects.
- Work with the Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and adhere to Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) compliance and all TJX Company standards.
Sounds rather challenging and exciting, right? Let's hope so, because if it sounds easy or boring, there's a good chance this job isn't for you. But if it does sound right for you, here's why we know you'll be able to handle those challenges:
- You are currently enrolled in a technical program related to computer systems or systems administration.
- You must have experience with SQL, Core Java, JSP, DB2, IDE (Rational Development Studio, Websphere); knowledge of the following Client Server applications preferred: .Net, VB, JCL; AS400/IBM iSeries - CL, RPG, ILE.
- Your familiarity with SDLC is an asset.
- You have strong analytical skills.
- You demonstrate strong issue management skills (time management; interpersonal skills including conflict management; information gathering skills; and team building skills to build collaborative working relationships).
- You demonstrate strong problem-solving skills by analyzing information (client and system requirements, description of problems, on-call situations, etc.).
- You have excellent communication skills (written, verbal, and active listening).
- Your computer skills include word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, etc.
We know some of that might sound a little daunting, but if we're going to meet and exceed our promises to our customers, we have to be committed to hiring the best person for the job.