Learning and Development Specialist - Distribution
Here at TJX Canada., we strive our hardest to make sure that, every day, our customers are able to find the latest and greatest designer brand names for less than they'd pay elsewhere. When they walk through the doors of our stores, whether it's a Winners, HomeSense, or Marshalls, savvy shoppers know they'll experience the "Thrill of the Find," which, if you're curious, feels like a slight breeze blowing over the surface of your skin-not a bad feeling, if we do say so ourselves.
But you're not here to feel the breeze. You're here to see if working with TJX Canada is right for you. To help with your decision, we'd like to introduce you to someone who once faced the same choice you have to make.
As one of TJX Canada's Learning and Development Specialists - Distribution, Jean-Paul is responsible for designing, maintaining, marketing and delivering learning and development programs and products. He works closely with our business partners and subject-matter experts on all training related to operational/technical, leadership, skill and knowledge-building. His input helps ensure the quality, consistency, and effectiveness of our learning and development products.
Those who know Jean-Paul could vouch for the fact that taking complex ideas and making them much more user-friendly is just "his thing." He loves presenting to large groups and sharing his passion individually. He's a relationship builder.
This is Jean-Paul's story. He is one of us.
But know this. If you do decide to apply for this position, and we agree that this is the right job for you, you'll be supported by a plethora of internal programs whose only focus is the continued progress of your career. At TJX Canada, we do everything we can to help you achieve your full potential. But we can't do it all ourselves. You'll need to bring the ambition, the motivation, and the drive.
So what do you think? Like Jean-Paul, are you one of us?
Now, if you were to come on board as one of our Learning and Development Specialists - Distribution, we'd ask you to do the following:
- Design and development of instructor materials or eLearning solutions, in collaboration with the Learning & Development Supervisor and various stakeholders.
- Administer enrollment and reporting process using Learning Management System.
- Validate new-hire curriculum for various roles throughout the company (e.g. Associate Training Program, Supervisor Training Program, etc.) while making necessary updates.
- Facilitation of our company learning and development programs for Associates, Supervisors, and middle Management audiences.
- Work with business partners to assess client needs, research written materials, and partner with "subject matter experts."
- Collaborate with business partners in the successful on-boarding of salaried Associates.
- Develop materials and/or job aids to assist in reinforcing knowledge and skill transfer on the job.
- Act as project leader in managing and coordinating program/product logistics, scheduling and distribution.
- Evaluate and assess the delivery and use of training programs/materials (i.e. training process, products, and supporting materials) and makes revisions based on assessments.
- Provide support in delivery and use of training programs and materials.
- Research learning and development best practices in the areas of program design, delivery, and evaluation.
Sounds rather challenging and exciting, right? Let's hope so, because if it sounds easy or boring, there's a good chance this job isn't for you. But if it does sound right for you, here's why we know you'll be able to handle those challenges:
- You have at least two years of relative work experience, ideally in Instructional Design or Facilitation.
- You have the flexibility to work afternoon shifts 25% of the time to accommodate later learning sessions and business partnering.
- You fully understand Distribution Services Learning and Development programs and their intended audiences.
- You have fundamental knowledge of Learning Management Systems and reporting.
- You have advanced computer skills including Microsoft Suite, Excel PowerPoint, Publisher; knowledge of articulate and graphics design software is an asset.
- You have superior communication and facilitation skills.
- Your problem-solving skills include analysis of information (i.e., project design requirements, description of problems, etc.) and providing others with alternatives to problems.
- Your issue-management skills include interpersonal, time-management, decision-making/problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Your customer-service skills include effectively and efficiently responding to Associate inquiries; identifying stated and unstated customer needs, and building relationships with Associates.
- Your project-support skills include preparing and maintaining detailed project plans; understanding and applying principles of project control, and an ability to manage projects within one or more systems.
- Your communication skills include both a written (reports, memos, designing training programs, etc.) and verbal ability.
- And here are some nice to have skills that will make it even easier to handle the challenges of the position:
- You have completed or are working towards a certificate in Adult Learning.
- You have some knowledge and understanding of adult learning principles.
We know some of that might sound a little daunting, but if we're going to meet and exceed our promises to our customers, we have to be committed to hiring the best person for the job.