ORGANIZATION BACKGROUND: SOS: Students Offering Support (studentsoffferingsupport.ca) is the national social venture that develops and supports SOS chapters residing within post-secondary schools across the nation. Each SOS chapter operates by raising money to raise roofs through raising marks during our ‘Exam-AID’ group review sessions. These student-led sessions take place prior to midterm and final exams, charging a $20 donation to attend. The money raised is spent creating sustainable education projects in developing nations and are implemented by SOS volunteers on annual volunteer outreach trips. Since 2004, Students Offering Support has tutored over 20,000 students on 27 campuses and raised over $1,400,000 for 35 sustainable development projects, built by our 1100 student volunteers from coast-to-coast.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The successful candidate will be supporting and driving new features to our new word-press multi-site CMS that is being launched this week for our university chapters. They also will be the controller of our online intranet for volunteers (aka ‘portal’). We are looking for a Web Developer to join the national team to be THE driving force and owner of our online platforms; developing new ideas, infrastructure, and support to the 1000+ students who use these systems each week.
The Web Development Director will be responsible for the following:
- Supporting our online websites:
- WordPress CMS multi-site (helping implement various features we would like to add this year)
- The intranet ‘portal’ used by the 2000 volunteers to do their job.
- The head office website – rebuilding it this year to reflect the new chapter website launching early September.
- Fixing errors / issues that arise on our online assets.
- Bringing new innovative initiatives to integrate into the SOS network. Be it cost effective means of communicative with volunteers across the country, or time saving approaches to managing volunteers through the portal, or collaborative means to work together – you will get out only as much as you put in. This is an opportunity for you to push yourself and see real change through high impact website development.
Required Skills / Attributes:
- Strong background with the following internet languages:
- Experience working with word-press is definitely an asset.
- Great communication skills.
- A keen desire and ability to learn.
Location: The location of our national office is at 326 ½ Bloor St W in the heart of the Annex in Toronto (Spadina and Bloor). A 15 second walk to the Spadina subway.
Start Date / Commitment: We are looking for someone to start May. The weekly commitment is between 20 hours and 40 hours.
Compensation: Unfortunately this is a volunteer position, yet for the days you are in the office, we will provide TTC tokens to get you to and from the office.
This is an opportunity to work for a national social venture which is growing at an incredible pace. By using entrepreneurial business practices, we have been able to provide students across the nation with an extremely meaningful opportunity to help their peers and help children around the world. This position will provide an unbelievable amount of hands-on web management experience as well as the opportunity to experiment and implement ideas that YOU have that will help the organization, leaving you with the necessary resume experience and skills that will make you a great candidate for top web jobs in the market.