Activity Worker, Adult Day Centre - (Casual)
Under the direction of the Director of Resident Care and the supervision of the Recreation Therapist, assists in delivering an established resident centered program schedule which contributes to the knowledge, health, wellness and enjoyment of participants. The Activity Worker will participate in the care planning, admission and discharge processes by assisting in the monitoring and documenting of resident progress. These duties will be carried out according to established policies and procedures in an Elder Friendly manner consistent with Gentle Care principles.
- Grade 12, plus completion of recognized recreational program courses, plus two (2) years recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Experience and/or training in Gentle Care/Elder Friendly practices.
- An unrestricted Class 4 driver's license.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with resident, staff, volunteers and caregiver/family population.
- Ability to deal with others effectively in a positive, problem solving manner.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to teach.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment including recreation related equipment and computers.
Nestled in the Nechako Valley, on the banks of the Nechako River, Vanderhoof is the geographical center of British Columbia. The Vanderhoof Bird Sanctuary, along the route of the Pacific Flyway is considered a mecca for bird watchers. The major industries include forestry and agriculture. Vanderhoof offers affordable housing and natural splendour that supports a balanced lifestyle. Local activities include golfing, skiing, horseback riding, curling, skating, bowling, tennis, fishing, boating, canoeing, waterskiing, hunting and camping. There are seven elementary schools, one secondary school and several private schools, as well as opportunities for continuing adult education.