Service Availability Manager - Internship
Are you a student of the world?
Are you ready to build your career, not just your résumé?
Do you think the world can work smarter?
IBM is looking for people to work alongside the best and brightest minds in the world to build a smarter planet.
The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's EPIC (Employment Pathways to Interns & Co-ops) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
This Student Position resides in Toronto and is a 12 month work term commencing May 2015.
Main Responsibilities for Service Availability Manager (SAM) include:
The Services Availability Manager (SAM) position is a client facing, critical leadership role whose primary responsibility is to protect client system availability through integrated incident, problem and change management. The SAM will take work direction from the Delivery Project Executive (DPE) and provide cross-functional leadership when incidents occur to demonstrate control of the situation to the client and to ensure rapid recovery. The SAM is the primary escalation manager and has ownership for the resolution of major incidents, critical situations and Root Cause Analysis (RCAs). This role coordinates service restore activities across multiple competencies and service lines, interfaces with technical teams as well as communicates with account teams and the client. The SAM has a high degree of technical knowledge and can readily direct the technical teams in arriving at problem resolution.
- SAMs will be assigned specific accounts and thus will develop demonstrated knowledge of the infrastructure, risks and challenges and can react/respond to outages with more specificity.
- SAMs are responsible and accountable for Incident/Problem and Change management, Major Incident Management, and the proactive review of the client environment.
- The SAM is responsible for communication across matrixed teams, as well as he Account Team and Client.
- They will also leverage data insights from trending of outages, ticket data, and other analytics to proactively prevent outages and improve availability.
- The SAM role will adhere to and follow Processes as defined and established by the Service Management owner.
The individual assigned to this job role should be able to provide advice in their technical or process area of specialization, be able to independently generate solutions based on analytical skills and business knowledge. He/she should be able to provide advice to team members within their area of specialization. The application of leadership skills is a must and the person must demonstrate discretion and independent judgment in matters of significance to IBM.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to prioritize his/her workload, be adaptable and remain calm and think clearly during a crisis. He/she must react and respond with a sense of urgency.
Desired Qualifications required:
- Analytical thinker
- Problem Solver
- Effective written/oral communications
- Technical background in systems/servers, and high level knowledge to understand the terminology
- Negotiation skills
- English: Fluent
- Preferred: Working towards Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Mathematics
- Coop or internship program enrollment an asset
What IBM Offers You:
1.Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
2.Work is challenging and rewarding
3.Access to obtain IBM Product Certification during work term
4.A casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
5.Future Blue - IBM's large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.