IT Support - Co-op
Are you a student of the world? Are you ready to build your career, not just your résumé? Do you think the world can work smarter? IBM is looking for people to work alongside the best and brightest minds in the world to build a smarter planet. The following student position is a part of IBM Canada's Employment Pathways to Interns and Co-ops (EPIC) Student Program. This position is only open to students registered in a Canadian University or College program, who have completed a minimum of 2 years of their degree or diploma program, and who must be returning to full-time study upon the completion of the temporary IBM work term.
This Student Position resides in Victoria, BC, and is a 4 month work term commencing September 2015. We operate and support the computer and network infrastructure required to develop IBM software products in the lab. The computer systems run a variety of operating systems, IBM middleware and other software. We work closely with the development and support teams to create the server environments they require. The candidate's work environment will be exciting and driven. The candidate will be joining a proven team of IT professionals who enjoy working together to deliver critical services to the software lab. On the job the candidate will develop a broad range of IT skills, learn a lot about IBM and work directly with the development teams at the lab.
- work with lab staff to diagnose and solve problems with server or desktop/laptop systems
- install OS on virtual and physical machines
- setup server and storage hardware, mount in rack, cable and configure network
- install and configure hardware or software for developer workstations
- experience working in customer service or technical support environments
- experience using Windows, also performing server, desktop and/or laptop installations and administration
- experience using Linux, also doing installation and administration
- experience working on server and desktop/laptop hardware
- experience setting up Ethernet and Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) networking
- knowledge of Advanced Interactive Executive (AIX) or other Unix operating systems
- experience using VMware or other virtualization technologies
- The candidate will be expected to complete assigned work independently, but with the active support of other team members. The candidate should understand the importance of documenting your work and tracking progress on a task. The candidate should be enrolled in a co-op or internship program.
What IBM Offers You:
- Work directly on product and services that affect our clients, while having access to cutting edge software technology
- Work is challenging and rewarding
- Access to obtain IBM Product Certification during work term
- A casual dress code and flexible work hours, to ensure work-life balance
- Future Blue - IBM’s large student community that provides networking opportunities, sporting and social events.
Students must apply to www.ibm.com/start in addition to their university job board (if applicable) in order to be considered for the position. It is highly recommended to include your transcript (official or unofficial) to complement your application.
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.
- High School Diploma/GED
- English: Fluent
- Pre-University qualification
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.